Saturday, March 31, 2018

Contractions in やんなっちゃう


A person is comparing herself to some disreputable school mates, thinking that she might be similar to them, and says:



やんなっちゃうなぁ



Is this a contraction of (い)やになっちゃうなぁ meaning "I ended up becoming unlikeable"?


I'm coming across more and more of these contractions as I read more, and they keep tripping me up. Are there any general rules I should know that will help me figure this stuff out on my own?



Answer




Yes, やんなっちゃう is short for いやになっちゃう, which is short for いやになってしまう.


いやになる is a fixed phrase meaning "to be fed up / sick / disgusted". So やんなっちゃうなあ is something like "Now I'm starting to feel disgusted", "I can't help being sick".


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...