Saturday, March 31, 2018

organic chemistry - SN1, SN2 or acid-base reaction


enter image description here


I am asked to give the type of reaction (SN1, SN2 or acid-base reaction) for the following reactions. I know that both $\ce{MeOH}$ and $\ce{EtOH}$ polar protic solvents, so because the first is an SN2 reaction shouldn't the second reaction be that as well? It says that it is an acid-base reaction as $\ce{MeO-}$ reacts with the $\ce{EtOH}$ to from 1-bromopropane, $\ce{MeOH}$ and $\ce{EtO-}$ and then goes on to from a SN2 reaction.


I would appreciate if someone could explain why the second reaction would be an acid-base reaction at first instead of a SN2 reaction.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...