Sunday, March 18, 2018

word choice - Is おつかれさん "correct" Japanese to address to someone of lower status?


I have noticed in various environments that some people will sometimes, when speaking to someone of lower status, say おつかれさん instead of お疲れ様. Similarly one might here ご苦労さん instead of ご苦労様. I've looked in dictionaries, and they say that this usage of さん is simply a change in sound from the original さま. This suggests that it might be correct usage, but it does not make an explicit remark about politeness, and if it really is just a change in sound, then theoretically one should be able to say it to those of higher status. In my experience, though, it has been used exclusively to lower status individuals.



My assumption was that it's a kind of play on words turning さま into さん like the honorifics despite the original meaning of 様 in this case, however looking it up and seeing that it is actually a shortening made me unsure. What is the Real Right Way to use it?



Answer



Your observation is correct. I'm not sure about the etymology, but as a matter of fact, we can use 「お疲れさん」 to someone whose status is equal to or lower than ourselves. Addressing it to your boss is clearly rude.


Personally, I usually stick to 「お疲れさまです」 in a business setting, because I think saying お疲れさん is over-friendly and shows little or no respect. Even when I talk to my colleague who is 10 years younger than me, I would at most use either 「お疲れさんです」 or 「お疲れさま」. Although it depends from company to company, I don't recommend you become the first person to use 「お疲れさん」 in your office.


As for ご苦労さま(です), a majority of people believe it should not be addressed to those of higher status than ourselves. Some people think it's OK, but I'd rather not take an unnecessary risk here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...