Tuesday, March 19, 2019

notation - Wavenumber range reversed in IR spectroscopy


I recently stumbled upon a result table from an IR spectroscopy, that is an image full of peaks. The goal was to decide which peak belongs to which group by looking up the intervals in a related table.


While the task itself is pretty straightforward, I can't explain to myself why the axis, as well as the intervals in the table, are "reversed" - meaning the higher values are on the left and the lower are on the right. In my opinion, this makes it much harder to quickly estimate if the given peak is in an interval or not:


e.g. for a number 2053, compare those two sets of intervals:


2100 - 2000
2070 - 2010
2050 - 2030

vs



2000 - 2100    
2010 - 2070
2030 - 2050

The estimation seems to be easier with the second, at least for me.


Can someone provide a background on why the ordering is high-to-low and not low-to-high?


NOTE: I don't have any real background in the topic and so my view is rather naive.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...