Thursday, March 14, 2019

meaning - Understanding what 逆に means in context with an emotion


I'm having trouble understanding exactly what this person is saying to me. The context being that I was asked a question by them, and after responding they said this:



そうでしたか!それを聞けて逆に安心しました…!笑



I believe: そうでしたか! = Was that so!? And maybe: それを聞けて = Able to hear that and ...


But: 逆に安心しました = was oppositely relieved (?) Does this mean they became relieved, and were worried before (the opposite of relieved), or something else?



Answer




It means "(I probably shouldn't have heard that) but when I could hear that, I was rather relieved ."


逆に in this sentence means "on the contrary", "rather". For example, 失敗して逆に良かった(I failed, but on the contrary it was good).


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...