Sunday, February 3, 2019

shemos sacred names - Translation of shem Adnus


I have noticed that ArtScroll usually translates the shem of Adnus (Adonoy) as My Lord. Other translations of the Tenakh and Siddur use "Lord" or "O Lord." There are some pesukim that cannot be translated as ArtScroll usually does and then they switch to the plain Lord or even HaShem. What should be the correct English translation? Rabbeinu Bachya seems to like "Lord of Lords." I guess it depends on whether you consider the last letter to be the possessive or an intrinsic part of the shem.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...