Saturday, February 9, 2019

onomatopoeia - Questions on the word シクシク


I understand that the word シクシク is 擬声語/giseigo/onomatopoeia equivalent to the English "boo-hoo/boo-hoo-hoo."



恐怖でシクシク泣く
: To whimper in fear



彼女はボーイフレンドに捨てられた時、あまりの惨めさにシクシクと泣いた。
: She wailed in misery when her boyfriend dumped her.



However, I also see it as a qualifier for pain, but I can't tell what kind of pain it describes. Is it a pain so "gripping" as to make one sob, or is it a "dull" pain (which implies something more to be inconvenienced or annoyed by)?



シクシクと痛みます
: It is a dull pain.


胃がシクシク痛む
: have a gripping pain in one's stomach





Answer



シクシク implies continuing, moderate level of crying/pain. I don't know if their etymology is related but 雨がシトシト降る also means that a moderate (not too hard, but not soft either) level of rain continuously falls. Maybe this sound pattern is associated with moderate, continuing things in Japanese.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...