Sunday, March 11, 2018

physical chemistry - Explanation for the reactions in a saltwater battery with zinc and copper electrodes


I am a physicist, not a chemist. I'm trying to get a basic understanding of the reactions taking place in a battery using a saltwater electrolyte with copper and zinc terminals. I'm writing a general science level article about it. I have found that the reactions taking place at the terminals are:


\begin{aligned} \text{Zinc terminal:}&&\ce{Zn(s) &-> Zn^{2+}(aq) + 2e^-} &(\Delta G = -0.76\:\mathrm{V})\\ \text{Copper Terminal:}&&\ce{Cu^{2+}(aq) + 2e^- &-> Cu(s)} &(\Delta G = -0.34\:\mathrm{V}) \end{aligned}


I think I understand the first reaction in terms zinc leaving the terminal and going into solution kind of as if it were dissolved $\ce{ZnCl2}$ (does that make sense?). But I need help understanding the second reaction. I've inserved a copper terminal into the solution. But not copper ions. Am I to understand it like this: when I put the copper terminal in the solution, copper ions immediately drift off, perhaps for the same reason the zinc ions do, but then deposit back onto the terminal in the presence of the electrons released when the zinc goes into solution?


I'd like an explanation somewhere between that it just happens and full on redox theory, if that is possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...