Tuesday, November 14, 2017

translation - I don't understand this sentence


A taxi driver picks a girl up. He is driving. Unintentionally he looks at rearview mirror and he doesn't see anybody. Then I found this sentence:


おや? と思って振り返るとちゃんといるのです。


When I have read it I have understood that he is driving, he sees that nobody is there, he turns to the back seat but the girl is there. However, it doesn't make any sense to me. At the end of the story the author says that he was afraid but he continued to drive and when he stopped the girl was not there.



Can somebody explain this sentence to me?



Answer



This story is a horror story.
I suggest that this girl was a ghost.


Don't you feel horrible to know the following series of phenomena?


1) A taxi driver picked up a girl. - She was there.
2) While he drove for a while, he found that the girl was not reflected in a rearview mirror where she should be. - She wasn't there.
3) He turned to the back seat but the girl was there. - She was there.
4) He continued to drive and when he stopped the girl was not there. - She wasn't there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...