Tuesday, November 21, 2017

organic chemistry - Mechanism for decarboxylation



Propose a mechanism for the following transformation.


enter image description here


I gather that this mechanism might be similar to decarboxylation of keto acids: enter image description here


However, I am unsure of how to begin.



Answer



In acidic media, the ester carbonyl will be protonated and the carbonyl carbon attacked by a water molecule. The intermediate will have a proton abstracted by a water molecule and the ethoxy group will be protonated (it can happen either by intermolecular reaction with an H3O+ or by an intramolecular reaction with a proton migration from the protonated intermediate after the water attack). The carbonyl is restored and an ethanol molecule leaves the structure. A subsequent proton abstraction by water forms the carboxylic acid, which will then suffer decarboxylation following the mechanism you presented above. (I'm sorry about my ChemDraw, I suck at drawing even on a computer).


Reaction


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...