Monday, November 20, 2017

usage - Difference between 向け and 向き


My boss just corrected one of my documents from 企業向きな開発 to 企業向けの開発.


Apart from the の/な problem that I always get wrong, is there a problem with 向き ?
I got it from my textbook that says 子供向きです


Could someone shed some light on when to use one or the other?
Am I fine if I decide to just stick to 向け all the time?



Answer




向け is the short-form of the word 向ける and 向き's dictionary form is 向く.


向き/向く has more to do with suitability. For example, someone who is afraid of blood is not suited to be a doctor, we would say 医者に向いてない (not suitable to be a doctor)


向ける/向け has more to do with target and objective. 企業向けの開発 implies that the development is targeted at 企業(enterprise) for example.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...