Wednesday, November 22, 2017

everyday chemistry - Deodorizing using baking powder instead of baking soda


I am an engineer and I understand the difference between baking power and baking soda as baking powder is baking soda (alkali) with tartaric acid (acidic) and an inert starch (why? Is this a catalyst in the presence of humidity and temperature).


So why use baking soda to deodorize a carpet and not baking powder? Is it because baking powder has both an acid and base and thus one would neutralize the other and would render the baking powder useless for adsorbing smells?


My carpet would be at a temperature of about $25~\mathrm{^\circ C}$. I am guessing this temperature and a relative humidity of $50{-}60~\%$ will not catalyze a violent reaction with either baking powder or baking soda?



Any input from chemists would be useful! I don't want to use either on my synthetic carpet in my rented house to experiment before I get enough input from people with know-how!




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...