Tuesday, November 21, 2017

poetry - Are haiku typically "padded" when read aloud?


I was once told that haiku should be "padded" so that instead of 5/7/5, they fit an 8/8/8 meter:



■■■■■□□□ ← wait for 3 beats after this line
■■■■■■■□ ← wait for 1 beat after this line
■■■■■□□□ ← wait for 3 beats after this line



If I recall correctly, the explanation was that Japanese favors rhythms in groups of 4 or 8 beats (morae). I don't actually know if haiku are read this way, though--it's just something I was told once.


Are haiku actually read aloud with these pauses? Or is this something my friend made up?




Answer



Yes, I think you'd read it as:



■■■■■□□□
■■■■■■■□ 
■■■■■□□□



for 5/7/5 like かたつむり・・・ where the middle line can be split into 4+3(e.g.: トウキョウ・ナゴヤ).
And you'd read it as:




■■■■■□□□  
□■■■■■■■ 
■■■■■□□□ 



for 5/7/5 like 静かさや・・・ where the middle line sounds better when split into 3+4(e.g.: カワズ・トビコム).


And you'd probably read it as:



■■■■■□□□  
■■■■■■■■ 
■■■■■□□□ 




for 5/8/5, like 8/5/8/5/8/5... :D(唱歌・カタツムリ童謡・鳩より)


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...