Friday, November 3, 2017

grammar - The topic is the restaurant, or the conversation is at the restaurant?


I have this sentence in my JLPT textbook:



話{はなし}の種{たね}に、新{あたら}しくできたレストランに食{た}べに行{い}ってみた。



I think I understand the part after the comma, which I believe is saying, "... tried to go eat at the new restaraunt."


But I have a hard time connecting it with the part before the comma, 話{はなし}の種{たね}に. 話{はなし}の種{たね} is, as far as I understand it, a "topic of conversation."



Does it mean something like, "We went to go eat at the new restaraunt to have a conversation"? Or maybe, "we talked about going to eat at the new restaurant"?


What does this sentence mean, and how does it come together?



Answer



The most natural reading of the sentence is something like this:



I went to the new restaurant because I thought it would be an interesting experience to bring up in conversation.



So sure, as ssb says, the speaker could be about to bring it up in conversation now, or he could have brought it up in the past or could bring it up in the future. But the important thing is that at the time that he went the intention (or one of the intentions) was to be able to bring it up in conversation later.


Just some cultural background: It's not uncommon for Japanese to talk about the fact that even if an experience wasn't enjoyable or useful per se, it was (might be) useful because of its value in conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...