Friday, November 10, 2017

grammar - Doubts regarding 方がより



それならどちらか一人に絞って魔力を提供した方がより効率的という訳か。


If that is the case, Squeezing magic in one of them end supplying would be more effective.



I think it means: This way is more effective.



Am i right?


This got me confused with


より and 方が.


Could someone give me an explanation of 方がより?



Answer




「Phrase + [方]{ほう}が + より + Adjective」


= "(Phrase) is more (adjective)"



So, your undestanding of 「~~方がより[効率的]{こうりつてき}」 is correct. It means "~~ is more effective".



Though I am not sure if this is what is confusing you, I will go ahead and state that there are two different 「より's」 used in statements of comparison.



「より」 the adverb:



This is the 「より」 used in 「~~方がより効果的」. It means "more" and it modifies adjectives. One could also safely say that this 「より」 is used like a more formal version of 「もっと」.



「より」 the particle:



This is the 「より」 used in a sentence like 「[富士山]{ふじさん}は[東京]{とうきょう}タワーより[高]{たか}い。」= "Mt. Fuji is taller than Tokyo Tower."


「Topic + は + (Base/Standard of Comparison) + より + Adjective」



Though I have never studied Japanese as a foreign language, I am pretty sure that the particle 「より」 is the first 「より」 that is taught in Japanese-as-a-foreign-language. ⇒ 「AはBより~~だ/です。」


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...