Tuesday, December 10, 2019

word choice - What's the difference between kyōshi and sensei?



I am looking up the word for teacher and I see kyōshi and also sensei.



Can someone tell me the difference between these two translations?



Answer



教師 (kyoushi) is an objective word for a teacher, while 先生 (sensei) is honorific. Formally, you would use 教師 to speak about teachers in general, or to describe yourself, and 先生 to honour specific teachers; in informal communication, however, people often use 先生 as the general term.


Another matter: certain people such as doctors and lawyers are also called 先生, but they're obviously not 教師.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...