Tuesday, July 9, 2019

thermodynamics - Temperature measurement


Consider some liquid in a beaker. I am measuring its temperature using a thermometer. When i put my thermometer's bulb in the liquid, the particles of the bulb gain the same kinetic energy as of the liquid particles. Now, my question is that Do the particles of thermometer's bulb attain the same translational, rotational and vibrational energy (vibration of atoms within a particle) as of the particles of the liquid? I have read somewhere that there is no effect of increase of rotational energy or vibration of molecules (as a whole) on temperature readings. Why so? Do the vibrations of the molecules don't change kinetic energy of the thermometer's bulb's particles?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...