Sunday, July 28, 2019

grammar - How to express appositives in Japanese


I have been searching high and low for how to express appositives in Japanese, yet the most I have come across is how to express something like "my friend John". I would like to know how to express more complex appositives in Japanese, something like:




1.) Dogs, one of my favorite animals, are going to be featured in tonight's show.
2.) John, the person you were talking to yesterday, will be at the party tonight.
3.) Brian McKnight, a very popular R&B singer, has just written a book about the music industry.



More specifically, I was writing a post and trying to express the following idea:



I had learned that Japanese people consume the greatest amounts of iodine, up to 13 mg per day!



I have expressed the first part of the sentence below, but have no clue how I would express the appositive "up to 13mg per day" without outright creating a new sentence.




日本の人が最も大量のヨウ素を食べることを知った。



I appreciate any help you can provide.



Answer



I don't think categorically ruling that "complexity" is always bad would be wise. A lot of rather sophisticated constructions are perfectly natural to a native speaker, and thus may be preferable over simplified options.


Now, in the case of your sentence:



I had learned that Japanese people [...]



... I'd say that depending somewhat on the context, connecting the first statement with the second using けれども or some of its variants (けど, けれど) would result in a natural and not overly complex sentence, and there are many other simple options as well (が, possibly ~て-form and more, aside those presented by @krnk).



Depending on your feeling towards your finding (thinking of the exclamation mark), you may want to follow that up with something like なんと to express a sense of "surprise".


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...