Tuesday, July 30, 2019

kanji - Can I write Japanese name "Midori" this way - 緑?


There is female Japanese name "Midori," and I want to know the ways I can write it. I know it means "green," but maybe the name and "green" are different words sometimes.


I used google-translator to get variants. I want to know if all of those variants are used to write the name Midori. Otherwise I am interested in what they mean.



As far as I can understand, the first variants are kanji and next ones are hiragana:



  • ミドリ


  • みどり and みどりの


What is the difference between these? What does the "no" mean?



Answer



Searching on a name dictionary you'll get a long long list (93) of "midori" as a girl's given name. This excludes "midori" being used as a family name or a place name.


"Midori" is not limited to the kanji for green though. It can be made up of other kanji having 名乗り (nanori - name reading) of "mi", "do", "ri", "mido", "dori" compounded to form "midori".


And yes you can use or as a standalone kanji for the name Midori.


For brevity I will not list all 93:



Kana and Kanji mix:




みど梨


みど理


みど里


み外里


み登り



3 Kanji compounds:



三十里



三都里


光巴里


光都里


妙登利



2 Kanji compounds:



三彩


光鳥


実酉



常緑


碧里




There is also the possibility that a name is spelled purely in Hiragana:



みどり



In this case, writing that person's name using Kanji would be wrong.


For Midorino:




緑野 [みどりの] (Don't worry about the meaning of "no" it's just the way the name sounds) it can be both a girl's name and a family name.


緑埜 [みどりの] is a family name instead of a girl's name.



Alternatively it could be Midori + Genitive case marker の.



i.e. みどりの本 to mean "Midori's book"


or 緑の本 to mean "a green (coloured) book"



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...