Wednesday, July 24, 2019

halacha - Eating dairy after pareve on meat equipment?



If I eat hot pareve food that was made on meat equipment, is there a waiting period before I can eat dairy? I had always assumed so -- that the heat transfers the meatiness to the pareve food -- but the Oreo question, which in a sense is the inverse of this question, makes me wonder. But it's possible the considerations are different for meat and dairy, or that there is something about how Oreos are made that's different from, say, my pot of vegetarian chili.


So if I've got this vegetarian chili made in a meat pot, can I have ice cream for dessert? (This isn't a p'sak question, even if I get an answer before lunch.)



Answer



From the Star-K:



If one ate pareve food that was cooked in a fleishig pot, one is not required to wait six hours before eating dairy. However, one may not eat this food together with dairy or reheat it in a dairy pot. For example, if one cooked spaghetti in a fleishig pot he may eat cheese immediately after finishing the spaghetti. However, he may not eat the spaghetti with cheese or with other dairy products. He should also not reheat the spaghetti in a milchig pot. One who ate meat may eat pareve food that was cooked in a clean milchig pot after finishing the meat. Products that are certified Kosher and do not contain dairy, but have been heated or processed on dairy equipment (e.g. the Kashrus agency informed the consumer or the label states “DE” next to the symbol), may be eaten immediately after meat – but not together with meat.



I have heard from a Rabbi that in the case of leftovers, there is additional room for leniency as this is considered an "after the fact" (בדיעבד) situation, but I suggest you consult yours on that question.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...