Sunday, December 2, 2018

word choice - Describing facial expression


Edit: The link provided by @broken headphones has helped resolve my する/している problem (I think). I have one problem remaining though. Given @Sonny365TANAKA's answer that 彼女は長い髪の毛です is not grammatical, if 田中さんは神妙な顔だ is grammatical then what is the difference? Translating directly to English, why can I say "Tanaka is a meek face" but I cannot say "She is long hair". Both describe a person's features and both sound strange to me.


End edit



田中さんは神妙な顔だ。
田中さんは神妙な顔をしている。
Tanaka has a meek face.




Describing facial expressions confuses me. Firstly because of the use of "is" rather than "has" i.e. literal translation of the first sentence is "Tanaka is a meek face". I can live with that.


Is there any difference in meaning/nuance between these two sentences. How do I interpret している? Is it "is making", "has made", or simply "is/has".


Does the way I phrase it change depending on whether I'm talking about the current state of the face or an enduring feature. e.g.



Tanaka has a meek face (and it is always like that. It's just his character)
Tanaka has a meek face (because he's just done something shameful)



Am I right that these issues occur with other aspects of describing a person? For example I saw these two sentences in some example translations:



彼女は長い髪の毛です

私の髪は長い



My instinct tells me that the second one is incorrect even though that is how you would expect to translate it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...