Friday, December 28, 2018

how to - Simple Sukkah plans using dimensional lumber from Home Depot?


I'm planning to build a sukkah using dimensional lumber from Home Depot for the frame and some tarp for the sides. It should be big enough to fit 2 adults and 2 small kids, but generally as small as possible.


I would like to know if there are any ready-made plans available online, so I don't need to reinvent it. Of course I would like it sturdy and kosher. I have access to all the basic woodworking tools.



Answer



When using panels, usually people use 4 foot by 8 foot panels. (8 feet tall is perfect for height). Thus 8 X 8 or 8 X 12 is common in size.


If you do it your way, with tarps, you are not limited to 4X8 panels. However most things you might buy as beams (wood at least) come in 8 feet long. So 8 feet tall makes sense.


Also, a simple cube 8 X 8 X 8, is easiest based on the existing lengths, minimizing wood cutting.


A table is usually 36" (3 feet) wide, so a 4 foot wide succah is probably too narrow.


I would rather consider the space you have available, and build to that. Remember you only need three walls, not 4 (and technically, one of those 3 can be very short/small).


Simplest approach is build a basic frame, I like bolts in 2X4s since it is easy to reuse next year. What I would recommend at each of corner to put in two bolts, otherwise, the square becomes a rhombus very quickly. Other approach is to use a diagonal brace in the each corner.



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...