Monday, December 3, 2018

organic chemistry - What is the mechanism of the Clemmensen reduction?


I have learned that we can reduce a ketone to an alkane using the Clemmensen reduction, where we treat the ketone with amalgamated zinc in the presence of $\ce{HCl}$.


My book didn't mention the mechanisms for this type of reaction and I couldn't find an answer by searching Google.



How does this reaction actually take place? Are there carbocation rearrangements in this reaction?



Answer



Here is the mechanism for reduction of aldehyde/ketone by Clemmenson reduction.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...