Saturday, December 1, 2018

kanji - How is 名 pronounced in computer terms?


For usernames, etc., you usually see like ユーザ名 or something similar. Or like on my Skype, it says Skype名. How is the 名 pronounced in these situations? I've never been able to conclusively find this anywhere. My instinct tells me it's because these seem like compounds nouns (like 星空【ほしぞら】, etc.) that use kun-yomi.




Answer



It is read as めい. “ユーザ名” is read as ユーザめい, “Skype 名” is スカイプめい.


I do not know the reason for that, but if I make a guess, this may be because gairaigo in a compound word is treated in a similar way to Sino-Japanese words.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...