Saturday, December 8, 2018

If a restaurant is already halal, how much more work is it for them to become kosher?


There is a middle-eastern restaurant1 (independent, not chain) near my workplace that my coworkers think highly of. Today I learned that it is halal (some info about what that means), which got me wondering whether there'd be any chance of them taking the extra steps to go from halal to kosher. I understand that halal doesn't have restrictions on mixing meat and dairy, so that's one issue, but what about the rest? Would the supervision required for kashrut be comparable to that required for halal (so from their point of view it'd be swapping one certifying authority for another), or are we much more stringent, invasive, and/or expensive? What would it take for them to move from where they are now to being kosher?


It might not be practical, but if it's a small change I'm considering asking them about it. (This would bring kosher food to our business district.) But I want to be armed with reliable information first about what it would mean for them.


I'm not asking about how going kosher would affect their halal status (that's a question for a different site). I'm asking what the considerations are for getting from where they are -- closer to kosher than a random restaurant but not there -- to kosher.


1 Shish-kebabs, shwarma, falafel, rice/lentils, salads, etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...