Sunday, December 16, 2018

halacha - Making very loud drumming noise during davening


Many leaders and congregants in my shul bang with their hands on the shulchan and on their siddurs and stomp their feet in what is supposed to be the rhythm of the prayer's melody. The noise is overwhelming and disturbs my concentration and is damaging my hearing. What halachic citations should I research in order to present a reasonable case to have the banging and stomping toned down to a reasonable level?


For the record, I have tried the "nice" approach and it didn't work. I view this issue as a public health issue because of the damage the sound levels can, and probably will, do to the hearing of others; even those making the noise. Additionally, I am not the only one who has tried to get this issue corrected and failed. As for finding another Shul, I resist that action for the present because, other than this one issue, I like the members of my community. They are basically very good people. But in the end I will do what I must do to protect my health and well being and if that means changing Shuls, so be it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...