Saturday, December 8, 2018

acid base - Finding pH after dilution?




Assume that $\ce{pKa}$ is 4.76


Mix $\pu{50 mL}$ of $\pu{0.1M}$ $\ce{HA}$ and $\pu{50 mL}$ $\pu{0.1M}$ $\ce{NaA}$. This is solution (i). Calculate concentrations of $\ce{HA}$ and $\ce{A-}$, measure the $\ce{pH}$.


Then, mix $\ce{10 mL}$ of solution (i) and $\ce{90 mL}$ of water. Calculate $\ce{[HA]}$ and $\ce{[A-]}$, and measure the $\ce{pH}$.



How do I approach these calculations? I have 13 of these to do, these are the first two.


Equation is: $$\ce{pH} = \ce{pKa}+\log{\left(\frac{\ce{[A-]}} {\ce{[HA]}}\right)}$$


For the first one, I got, $$4.76 + \log{\left(\frac{0.1}{0.1}\right) = 4.76}$$ But I don't know if that's correct. How would I approach the subsequent problem when water is added?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...