Thursday, December 7, 2017

minhag - Why is the atara on a tallis always the same design?


Maybe a frivolous question, but I am intrigued as to why the atara (the strip of cloth denoting where the tallis should rest on your shoulders) on every standard tallis (other than the fancy ones with metal trimmings, or the ones with the embroidered bracha) has the same floral design. I know the stripes have some kabbalistic significance, but does the design on the atara have any significance?



Answer



It seems to me that you are hanging around a very limited crowd. In the course of any given day I am likely to see Ataras like you have described, but I am also likely to see silver ataras of many kinds, Ataras with the blessing embroidered, homemade ataras, or Chabad Tallitot with not Atara at all.


I think that over the last decade or so, the basic, floral atara that you have described has become the most common in much of the Haredi world in Israel for much the same reason that carrying a plain, square, black bag has become the norm. The trend in the Haredi world over the last few decades has been for people to do everything more and more the same. This is true of everything from dress code to everyone observing the highest common denominator in most areas of Halacha instead of being Machria according to any one opinion. You can argue for or against this trend but that is the way it is.


Also, don't be so sure that there is a kabbalistic reason for the different stripes. I have heard many people assert that idea but have yet to see it written anywhere. If anyone has a source for this, I would love to see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...