Thursday, December 28, 2017

organic chemistry - What is the geometry of an alkyl radical?



I encountered this question which asks how many possible radicals are formed when $\ce{CH3CH2C(CH3)3}$ is monosubstituted by $\ce{Br2}$. The answer given is 3 while I think it should be 4, reasoning that there is a "chiral" carbon if the radical is formed on carbon 3. While arguing with my tutor two questions came to my mind:



  1. What is the geometry of the $\ce{CH3\dot{\ce{C}}HC(CH3)3}$ radical?

  2. If the radical is trigonal pyramidal, does it transition quickly between the two possible states? If so are they considered two radicals?




My findings so far:


This answer on SE hints that the exact shape depends on the substituents on the alkyl radical.


Modern Physical Organic Chemistry states that all other (non-methyl) localized radicals are not planar.


Organic Reaction Mechanisms states that the geometry of free radicals is still controversial.





No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...