Tuesday, December 26, 2017

grammar - Proper use of ため to thank someone for doing x?


I know ため can be translated into English as "for" such-and-such.


But is it appropriate to use it to thank some one for doing something?


For example, "Thank you for your email address." Would it be grammatically accurate to say: メールアドレスためありがとうございます。


Google translate seems to understand the sentence perfectly fine. But would a native speaker scratch their head at that use of ため in this manner?



Answer



Using ため as the 'for' in 'thank you for' is strange.



Off the top of my head I can think of 4 ways we normally use ありがとう to say thanks for something.





  1. masu-stem of the verb + ありがとう (this one's particularly formal)
    メールアドレスを教えていただき有難う御座います。
    Thank you for telling me your email address.




  2. te-form of the verb + ありがとう

    メールアドレスを教えてくれてありがとう。
    Thanks for telling me your email address.




  3. noun + ありがとう
    メアドありがとう!
    Thanks for your email address!




  4. noun + を + ありがとう

    メッセージをありがとう
    Thanks for your message





There's lots of other expressions which don't use ありがとう like:



~についてお礼を申し上げます
~に対し感謝します




ため is 'for' as in for the benefit or purpose of someone/something.



私のためにこんなすてきなパーティーを開いてくれてありがとう。
Thank you for throwing such a splendid party for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...