Thursday, December 28, 2017

tefilla - Importance of Minyan


How far must I go out of my way to pray with a minyan (quorum)? Does it matter if it's longer one direction than the other (ie I have ride back but not there or vice-versa)?



Answer



One must travel 1 mil (or kilometer) to daven with a minyan, (or 4 mil, if its on his way anyways). I assume that describes the amount of time one must spend travelling rather than the distance. I think we mainly look at the time to travel there,* but probably both are a factor. See Shulchan Aruch OHC #90:


סעיף ט ישתדל אדם להתפלל בבית הכנסת עם הצבור ואם הוא אנוס שאינו יכול לבוא לבית הכנסת יכוין להתפלל בשעה שהצבור מתפללים (והוא הדין בני אדם הדרים בישובים ואין להם מנין מכל מקום יתפללו שחרית וערבית בזמן שהצבור מתפללים. סמ"ג). וכן אם נאנס ולא התפלל בשעה שהתפללו הצבור והוא מתפלל ביחיד אף על פי כן יתפלל בבית הכנסת:



סעיף יא מי שיש לו בית הכנסת בעירו ואינו נכנס בו להתפלל נקרא שכן רע וגורם גלות לו ולבניו:


סעיף טז ההולך בדרך והגיע לעיר ורוצה ללון בה אם לפניו עד ד' מילין מקום שמתפללים בי' צריך לילך שם ולאחריו צריך לחזור עד מיל כדי להתפלל בי':


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...