Thursday, December 21, 2017

particles - Can と AND や be used in a sentence for a list of things


I have been reading about using と and や.


Now, I understand the basic idea that や is for a list where the list is not all-inclusive. と on the other hand essentially informs the listener that "only these things are what I mean."


Are there any times where the "and" や and と would both be used in a sentence? Specifically for a list of things?



趣味がスキーやゴルフや英語と日本語の勉強やカラオケです。



as a possible (and poor?) example. If I wanted to say in the example above "My hobbies are skiing, golf, studying English and Japanese, and karaoke."




Answer



Your example sentence I think is a little clumsy, but short answer: yes. と in a case similar to your example would just be a component in one of the noun phrases that makes up your list. For the sentence, however, 趣味はスキーやゴルフ、英語と日本語の勉強、カラオケなどです would be better. Points to take away:




  • 趣味は not 趣味が.




  • When making longer lists of things, Japanese typically works, unsurprisingly perhaps, in the reverse of English, with further conjunctions omitted.





No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...