Tuesday, December 26, 2017

organic chemistry - Can 1,3,5-trihydroxybenzene perform haloform reaction?


As far as I know it's not possible for 1,3,5-trihydroxybenzene to give the haloform reaction.


The prerequisites(that I know) for the haloform reaction are:


Only those organic compounds which can be converted to a methyl ketone or acetaldehyde by means of oxidation (by $\ce{NaOX}$ ($\ce{NaOH + X2}$) type agents which are present in the reaction mixture) give this reaction. And obviously a methyl ketone or acetaldehyde would give this reaction too.


So the problem is I don't see how 1,3,5-trihydroxybenzene meet those prerequisites. Is there any way out because in a recent practice test I came to know that 1,3,5-trihydroxybenzene does give the haloform reaction.





No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...