Thursday, July 11, 2019

halacha - Imagine a non-Jewish hostel has a male and a female dorm. Does yichud allow me to sleep in the male dorm?


I'm male. Imagine I arrive at a youth hostel where I'm the only Jew. It's a big house on a quiet residential street; the house has been converted into a youth hostel. There's a male-only dorm room; across the hallway, there's also a female-only dorm room. Assume that the doors to all the dorm rooms are unlocked.


IIRC, Jewish law normally assumes that non-Jews are not "shomer negiah". And so, if I would stay the night, I think Jewish law would consider me to be the only shomer-negiah individual staying in the entire building. I'm not sure whether or not this would pose any halachic problem.


On the Sichos in English website, Rabbi Nissan Dovid Dubov briefly discusses the matter of yichud (seclusion) together with a large group of non-Jewish men and women. For example, he writes:



A woman may not ride a bus on a deserted country road even though there are many non-Jewish men and women on the bus.



Do the laws of yichud allow me to sleep in the male-only dorm room?



Answer




Rabbi Nissan Dovid Dubov[1] cites the Minchas Ish and says that the hallways of a hotel are public domains. So perhaps the hallways of a youth hostel are also public domains.


But perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps there may be other halachic problems with sleeping in a non-Jewish youth hostel. I'm not a rabbi. Ask your rabbi.


[1] In chapter 6 note 235 of the free online version of The Laws of Yichud.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...