Friday, February 16, 2018

negation - When I ask a simple question should I ask it in negative form?


My textbook is prompting me to ask questions:




"Don't you want to see a movie?"
eiga o mimasen ka?


"Don't you want to eat dinner?"
bangohan o tabemasen ka?



I'm wondering if I should be asking these types of negative questions instead something like this:



"Do you want to see a movie?"
eiga o mimas ka?




etc...



Answer



Questions can be asked in either positive or negative. They only vary by politeness (with the latter being more so).



映画{えいが}を見{み}ませんか。
映画を見ますか。



These are two nearly identical ways of asking the same thing (Do you want to see a movie?). The only difference is that the former is slightly more polite.


Also, unlike English, responses are reversed when the question is in the negative. What I mean by that is:




映画{えいが}を見{み}ますか。 (Do you want to see a movie?)
はい (=Yes, I do want to see a movie)
いいえ (=No, I don't want to see a movie)



However:



映画{えいが}を見{み}ませんか。(Don't you want to see a movie?)
はい (=No, I don't want to see a movie)
いいえ (=Yes, I do want to see a movie)




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...