Monday, February 26, 2018

sampling - up sample and down sample



Let's say that I have a sampled signal x[n], it is being, in this exact order, up sampled by 2, down sampled by4, up sampled by 4 and down sampled by 2 to produce y[n].


It seems to me that it should be pretty self evident that since we up sampled the signal by 2 and down sampled it by 2, then up sampled it by 4 and down sampled by 4, I should just get the original x[n] back.


Am I right?


So the real question is, can the various up/down sampling pieces be readily swapped?



Answer



To make Matt L.'s answer more precise: whenever a downsampling operation results in a sampling frequency that is less than twice the maximum frequency in your signal, you'll end up losing some of the signal's energy.


In the downsampling implementations I've seen, the signal is low-pass filtered prior to downsampling, so no actual aliasing occurs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...