Wednesday, February 21, 2018

song poetry - What is the meaning of the term בוחן כליות in High Holiday prayers?



In Nusach Ashkenaz (and I assume Nusach Sefard as well as other nuscha'ot), there is a "hymn" said as part of the Musaph service on both days of Rosh Hashanna and Yom Kippur that has a refrain וכל מאמינים (Everyone believes).



One of the phrases says: וכל מאמינים שהוא בוחן כליות


Translating literally:


"Everyone believes that He (G-d) checks the kidneys"


I assume that the term בוחן כליות is a metaphor for "a person's intentions or thoughts". But, I am trying to get a sense that if that is what is meant, what is the connection of mentioning the kidneys and what does it mean to "check" or "investigate" them. Investigate what?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...