Sunday, February 18, 2018

grammar - Use of まで in this sentence


The sentence is 出口が無けりゃ作るまでよ.


I'm pretty sure it means something along the lines of "If there is not a door, just make one" It confuses me because 出口が無けりゃ should mean "If there is not a door" and 作るまでよ should mean "until you make it".


Please tell me your translation and explain how まで is used in this situation.



Answer



From http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/208999/m1u/%E3%81%BE%E3%81%A7/



3 動作・事柄がもうそれ以上には及ばず、それに限られる意を表す。…だけ。



「気に入らなければ断るまでさ」
「念のために聞いてみたまでだ」



should be able to see how it's used from those two examples.


Translation: If there's no way out then all you need to do is make one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...