Sunday, September 1, 2019

usage - Does the particle "を" (wo) have a special use when at the end of a sentence?


I thought the character "を" (wo) was only used for the particle whose only job was to indicate the direct object of a verb.


But today I saw it at the end of an exclamation on a sign I think on a shop:



西部に活力を!!



So what job is を doing here?



Answer




It's still the object marker. The sentence is just not finished and the verb is implied.


(there was a question mentioning suspended sentences but I cannot find it for the moment)


Anyway it's often used:



フォースと共{とも}にあらんことを


May the force be with you!



Additionally it gives some kind of propaganda feeling to the sentence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...