Sunday, September 1, 2019

sources mekorot - Origin of the Escalator analogy


What is the origin of the escalator analogy of always striving for growth? I'm referring to the analogy that, in life, like a person climbing a downward escalator, if one is not constantly striving higher and moving forward, one is by definition moving backward and downward, not merely at rest.


I've heard this as inspiration and Divrei Hizzuk inserted into Divrei Torah, but there is obviously no Midrash that would have used this exact analogy. I assume that, if it has Jewish origins, it would have to be a 20th Century rabbi or Jewish theologian (the first working escalator was installed in 1896 - Wikipedia). Who coined it, and when?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...