Wednesday, September 25, 2019

minhag - Standing up at the Chuppa when the Kallah passes by



Last night I was at a wedding, and when I stood up as the bride was passing by on the way to the Chuppa, a fellow in all seriousness told me "It is not proper and a lack of Tzniyus to stand up for the bride". I told him that I am certain that there is a valid source for doing so as we see that it is a Minhag Yisroel that people stand up when the bride passes by. What is the source?



Answer



See Halachically Speaking (Volume 4, Issue 12, Page 8) where the author brings that many poskim [see footnote 108 for names] actually say to stand the entire Chuppah. (One reason given is because the Chosson is doing a Mitzvah, so we stand in his honor). Common custom however, is not like that.


He then goes on to say:



It is customary to stand when the chosson and kallah walk down the aisle. Some say this is out of respect for the chosson and kallah.



He brings Knesses Hagedolah E.H. 62[:2] as a source for that last reason [though the Knesses Hagedolah is referring to standing for the Chuppah Berachos].


So there you have it: a source.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...