Saturday, September 21, 2019

extraction - Sublimation of Iodine from Iodine Povidone


Iodine povidone is a complex of iodine and the polymer povidone. I am wondering if one were to heat it enough, the iodine would sublimate and could be collected. Normally iodine boils at 184.3 °C, according to wikipedia.


A video of how the procedure might work, except iodine crystals would replaced with boiled down iodine povidone: Sublimation of Iodine Time lapse


This can be used to purify iodine, so from my understanding, you would be able to vaporize the iodine and leave the polymer behind.


Does the complex with povidone change how this would work?


I apologize if my question is ignorant, as I do not have a great understanding of how complexes work.



Answer




Yes you can because it is in a complex with the povidone. You just have to heat it a little bit extra. This is because a complex is "tangled up" molecules. In this case it is Povidone and Iodine. Nile Red used a different process (liquid-liquid extraction), but here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNf8PSda7iI


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...