Saturday, September 28, 2019

grammar - More complex sentences - When to use は? When to use が?



I know the basics about the difference in the usage between は and が. Nevertheless, when it comes to more complex sentences, I encounter difficulties that I want to explain on base of some examples. Maybe, somebody can briefly confirm whether my understanding is correct.





  1. Looking at the X-ray image, it is apparent that the package of the component described above cracked.


    X線写真によると、前述の部品、パッケージが亀裂が生じたことが明らかです。



    I think it is clear that "前述の部品" is the topic and can or should be marked with "は".






  2. It is no doubt that the package of the component described above cracked.


    前述の部品パッケージが亀裂が生じたことは疑いようがありません。



    Although the constructions of both sentences are very similar, "疑いようがありません" must be preceded by "ことは" and "前述の部品" cannot be the topic and hence becomes a genitive.





  3. Assuming that the temperature of the device described above excessively increased, the failure picture can be explained.


    前述の部品過度な温度上昇となっていったという仮定のもとで、不具合品の写真は、真実味が出てきます。




    I am sure that "前述の部品" cannot be marked with "は" but can anybody explain me why? Can the part of the sentence preceding "仮定" be regarded as relative clause where "は" is not permitted at all?


    Is this sentence correct?



    前述の部品過度な温度上昇となっていったと仮定すると、不具合品の写真は、真実味が出てきます。






  4. It is reasonable to think that the improvement measure described above guarantees protection for the components.



    前述の改選策本部品用保護を保証していると考えることは、妥当なように思われます。



    "前述の改選策" cannot be marked with "は" because this could run counter to the "と考えることは".




I highly appreciate your collaboration. This "は" versus "が" topic is my main concern.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...