Sunday, September 22, 2019

gas laws - Volume of composition of air


My teacher stated:



At standard conditions, 1 liter of air at 21% oxygen possesses $\pu{0.21 L}$ of oxygen. Since at STP, 1 mole of gas occupies $\pu{22.4 L}$, simply divide $0.21/22.4$, to arrive at 0.0094 moles of oxygen.




I have a question regarding this. What if I trap $\pu{100 ml}$ of air in a vessel and maintain $\pu{273 K}$ and pressure $\pu{1 atm}$? So, in that case, what does it mean that oxygen has volume of $\pu{21 ml}$? Won’t the volume of oxygen and nitrogen be same inside vessel? Or am I wrong somehow?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...