Tuesday, September 17, 2019

grammar - difference between -なくて and -ないで



When I encounter these two, I usually don't have a problem understanding their meaning in the given context. Still, I don't really know what makes them different from each other xD
-なくて still is relatively easy for me to determine, since its the negated て form.



その人がすきじゃなくて、会うに行く。
"Not liking that person, I go meet him/her."



I can't really determine what ないで is though, and therefore the difference between the two isn't completely clear to me.




留学するつもりだったんですが、母に行かないでほしいって言われたんです。
"I wanted to study abroad, but I was told by my mother that she wishes that I don't go."



So I do see that it is something along the lines of negation, but I still can't thoroughly classify it's exact form and function :D




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...