Monday, May 6, 2019

everyday chemistry - Homemade reactor for water cooling


Background: Well, it's summer here in Brazil, and a great way to keep cool is drinking a so called Tereré, and, of course, we do need cold water for that.


Problem: I was looking for endothermic spontaneous reactions so I can cool the water in a bottle using an inner aluminum bottle in which the endothermic reaction occurs. I already knew that Urea's dissolution is endothermic and spontaneous, but I couldn't find how much endothermic it is, i.e., how many Joules it absorbs per Mol of urea dissolved. Another problem related with urea is that it's dissolution is a slow process (I think, not sure), additionally, the urea I can find is the one use as fertilizer, and this one has lots of impurities that I'll need to take into account when calculating how much I'll need to react.


What I know is that the urea dissolves in the same amount of water in weight, that the reaction time increases as the concentration increases, but have no idea how much energy it absorbs neither the how much time it takes to react, of course it depends on the concentration, granularity, etc.


Question: Considering all of that, are there any other reagent(s) I can buy or synthesize without being a licensed chemist that can be used to cool the water? Or, do you have the information that is missing about urea's dissolution (Joules/Mol absorbed in dissolution, approximated reaction time) so I can figure out if I can use it for this purpose?





No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...