Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Use of significant figures in addition and subtraction


My book mentions:



The proper use of significant figures in addition and subtraction involves a comparison of only the absolute uncertainties of numbers. This means that only as many digits are retained to the right of the decimal point in the answer as the number with the fewest digits to right of the decimal



But I don't understand that why must the answer be rounded off after addition? Is the answer not accurate enough to be retained as it is ?



Answer



No. The answer isn't accurate enough. Say, for example I wish to add two numbers: $1.23$ and $2.367$.


I proceed like this, but I've no idea what the third digit after the decimal in $1.23$ is and so I represent it as $?$.


$$\begin{align*} 1 &.23? \\ + 2 &.367 \\ \hline 3 &.59? \\ \hline \end{align*}$$



This is why the end result is rounded off with the number of digits equal to the number having the fewest number of digits you initially set off with.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...