Sunday, May 19, 2019

acid base - are half of "H2SO4 pH sample problem" webpages just wrong, or am I wrong?



I did a Google search for "h2so4 pH sample problem" and went through the results, and it looks like about 50% of the webpages "explaining" how to do this problem give the wrong answer when calculating the pH of a solution of $\ce{H2SO4}$. The incorrect sources either (a) assume that each molecule of $\ce{H2SO4}$ donates only one proton (approximately true only at high concentrations); or (b) assume that each molecule of $\ce{H2SO4}$ donates both protons (approximately true only at low concentrations). Only about half of the sources do the problem correctly by assuming that all $\ce{H2SO4}$ molecules donate the first proton and then using the second dissociation constant to compute the degree of dissociation of the second proton.


I'm no expert, so am I missing something, or are half of the sources out there just wrong?


Googling "h2so4 pH sample problem", here are the first eight hits after removing pages that did not contain an $\ce{H2SO4}$ sample problem, and how I scored them:



So it looks like even for just a slightly-non-trivial problem, almost a majority of free online help resources get the answer wrong. Is there some subtlety I'm overlooking?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...