Wednesday, May 22, 2019

filters - Zero-lag butterworth filtering


Recently, I've read several papers where zero-lag Butterworth filters are used (both low-pass and high-pass).



I have a fair understanding of (Butterworth) filters, but how can we design one with zero lag? Can someone explain me how this works?


From my understanding, any low-pass filter yields an intrinsic delay.


Or does this involve bidirectional filtering?



Answer



As you suspect, this paper says that zero-lag Butterworth filtering is obtained by passing the signal through the filter twice: once in the forwards direction and once in reverse.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...