Friday, May 24, 2019

bathroom - What are the parameters for washing after excusing one's self in the middle of the meal?


If I recall correctly from Chayei Adam and elsewhere, if you're in the middle of a bread-based meal and excuse yourself to defecate, first of all you should wash with soap and water for hygienic purposes, as you always should after using the restroom! But after that, you do a ritual washing and make "al netilas yadayim" as you usually would when starting to eat bread.


This halacha is the subject of some discussion, and not agreed-upon by everyone.


According to those who do require washing, however, what are the parameters of this washing? Can I talk afterwards? Do I say a new hamotzee if I'm having more bread? What if I wasn't in the mood for more bread, just cake? Just meat? Just water?



Answer



According to Rabbi Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer, if you want to eat more bread, you should wash, say al netilat yadayim and then not talk until you say hamotzee.


If you don't want to eat more bread, you don't have to wash.



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...